TOOTH EXTRACTION AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
It is imperative that you follow these ‘home care’ instructions after having your tooth extracted:
- DO NOT drink through a straw for up to 72 hours after surgery
- Bite firmly on a gauze pack over the surgical area for up to 30 minutes.
- DO NOT rub the area with your tongue
- NO ALCOHOLIC or CARBONATED BEVERAGES for 24 hours after surgery.
- DO NOT SMOKE for 48 hours after surgery.
Rinsing Instructions (begin all mouth rinses 24 hours after surgery)
- Warm salt water (one teaspoon of salt dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water): 3 times a day for 7 days.
- Oral antibiotic (chlorohexidine) rinse: 1 capful morning and night for 7 days.
- Antibiotic rinse should not be used for more than 7 consecutive days. Excessive use may cause permanent grey stains to your teeth
*Swelling reaches its maximum about 48 hours after surgery, and usually lasts 4-6 days.
*Apply an ice packs over the area for the first 24 hours (20 minute increments) to control swelling.
*Eat a soft diet for the first 48 hours after tooth extraction.